Family Selection Form (February 24, 2021)
Dear Great Valley Families,
The Chester County Health Department (CCHD) recently announced that districts who are implementing a series of specific mitigation efforts in its schools may reduce the physical distancing requirements to 3 to 6 feet once the County Incidence Rate is under 100 cases per 100,000 people in Chester County. This supports schools’ efforts to return students to more in-person learning. With the physical distancing recommendation reduced, the Great Valley School District is actively planning for and excited to welcome students back to more in-person learning in mid- to late-March. The Great Valley Board of School Directors will host a special meeting on Monday, March 1, at 7:30 p.m., where I expect the Board to vote on a revised Health & Safety Plan.
This email contains a number of informational items and directions for families. Please read this message carefully and in its entirety.
While there are still many details to finalize, and more information will be presented at Monday night’s School Board meeting, major highlights of our plan include the following:
- Face coverings will be required for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Physical distancing in classrooms will be no less than 3 feet. Distancing in eating spaces will be no less than 6 feet.
- Cafeterias and other indoor and/or outdoor spaces may be utilized for lunch periods.
- Students who ride the bus will remain limited to two per seat.
- A return to more in-person learning means that students would physically report to school 4 days per week (Tuesday through Friday). The current hybrid model (2 days per week) will no longer be available. Mondays will remain as asynchronous days, K-12. Students currently participating in the hybrid model who choose to remain in-person will be required to attend school four days each week.
- Our fully virtual program will remain available to families who prefer that option for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. For elementary students participating in the virtual instructional model, live whole class instructional time will likely be increased across the week.
- A move to more in-person instruction will likely necessitate some teacher changes at the elementary level for both in-person and virtual students.
- More in-person learning is anticipated to begin on Tuesday, March 16, 2021.
- The selection you make now will be in effect for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Secondary students who choose the in-person model will be expected to attend school in person. If a student is enrolled for in-person learning and misses 5 or more days of school without a valid excuse, GVHS/GVMS has the right and will transition the student to virtual learning for the remainder of the school year. Voluntarily electing to stream into class in lieu of attending in person will not be considered a valid excuse.
IMPORTANT! FAMILY SELECTION FORM – Your response is required.
- To ensure that this communication was received by the preferred family member, this email was sent to all email addresses associated with your child’s Skyward account. However, only the first contact to respond will be able to complete the Family Selection Form. Once answers are submitted, the survey will no longer be available to other family members. We will rely on families to have conversations about their child’s learning before the form is submitted.
- All families are asked to complete the Family Selection Form before Tuesday, March 2 at 11:59 p.m. It is important that we hear from you via the link embedded at the bottom of this email.
- You will receive this email for each of your current GVSD students.
OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN MORE:
- Monday, March 1: Special meeting (virtual) of the Great Valley Board of School Directors, 7:30 p.m. Please check our website on Monday, March 1, for the live meeting link. (Meeting recording will be available on the GVSD website on Tuesday, March 2.)
- Wednesday, March 3: Parent Webinar for Elementary Families, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., facilitated by Great Valley administrators. Please register for the webinar and submit questions you have in advance via this link. This webinar will be a presentation style. A facilitator will read questions submitted by parents in advance or via the chat function.
- Thursday, March 4: Parent Webinar for Secondary (6-12) Families, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., facilitated by Great Valley administrators. Please register for the webinar and submit questions you have in advance via this link. This webinar will be a presentation style. A facilitator will read questions submitted by parents in advance or via the chat function.
- Please also look for information in your school newsletter, or in correspondence sent directly from your school, and on the district website.
Thank you for your attention to this information and for your continued interest and involvement in our schools.
Daniel F. Goffredo, Ed.D.
Superintendent of School