Diversity & Inclusion
The efforts of the Great Valley School District around diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) clearly align with the long-standing mission of the District to ensure that every student is inspired and prepared to be a passionate lifelong learner and a productive invested participant in the local and global community. Our work around equity and inclusion supports the District's Core Values that were developed by our community as part of our Comprehensive Plan, and is designed to ensure that each child receives what they need to develop to their full academic and social potential.
A video series about our equity efforts is now available on our YouTube channel. Videos are available in both English and Spanish. Click here to watch!
The District engaged the Coalition for Educational Equity (University of Pennsylvania) in August of 2022 to conduct a comprehensive equity review that utilized these guiding questions:
- In what ways do you see a need for equity work?
- In what ways are resources provided by the District helping students get what they need?
- To what extent is the District welcoming of all students?
The review process engaged multiple stakeholder groups and also examined demographic, academic achievement, discipline, and climate assessment data. The district then received a comprehensive report that:
- identifies conditions at the district that impact student experiences;
- provides the district with a framework for future and continued organizational growth.
By using recommendations and areas of identified need from the Equity Review, the District prepared a three-year Equity Plan to address specific focus areas. The Board of School Directors approved this plan in November, 2023. Focus areas are:
- Developing and Enacting a Shared Equity Vision
- Instruction and Systems of Support
- Family and Community Engagement
- School Climate and Classroom Culture
- Engaging in Self-Reflection and Professional Learning
- Hiring and Retention
Council for Diversity and Inclusion
In 2019, GVSD formed its Council for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) to give a formal structure to the work we’ve been doing for many years to create a welcoming and inclusive school environment. The CDI also provides a structure in which members of the Great Valley community can bring their voice to the District’s efforts. Members engage in critical dialogue around practices and literature relating to diversity and inclusion as they broaden their understanding of different viewpoints. The CDI also serves as a way for administration to gather feedback from the community.
The founding goals of the CDI:
- fostering a safe and healthy school climate where all students feel they belong;
- promoting an inclusive culture that engages and appreciates the diverse assets of students, families, staff and community members;
- encouraging and expanding the District’s conversations about topics related to equity and social justice; and
- eliminating systemic inequities and disparities in student achievement and belonging in our schools.
Areas of focus have included:
- Community Engagement & Outreach
Policies that Support DEI Work in GVSD
Policy 104: Nondiscrimination in Employment and Contract Practices
Policy 103: Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination in School and Classroom Practices
Policy 103.2: Nondiscrimination - Qualified Students With Disabilities
Policy 103.3: Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students
Policy 247: Hazing
Policy 248: Harassment (Students)
Policy 249: Bullying/ Cyberbullying
Policy 348: Harassment (Employees)
Policy 832: Educational Equity
Policy 920: Civility