Right to Know Requests
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Right to Know Law provides citizens the right of access to public records, and sets forth the conditions under which a document maintained by a Commonwealth agency is deemed a public record.
Anyone seeking access to or duplication of a public record must submit a written request, using the appropriate form. This request must:
- identify or describe the public record with sufficient specificity to allow the district to determine which record is being requested; and
- include the name and address to which the district should send its response.
- By law, GVSD must respond within five business days to any request. Extensions to the five-day requirement are set forth in section 902 of the law and include:
The request requires redaction of a record;
- The request requires the retrieval of a record stored in a remote location;
- A timely response is not possible due to bona fide staffing limitations;
- Legal review to determine if the record can be accessed;
- Requestor has not complied with the district's policies regarding access to records;
- Requestor refuses to pay applicable fees; or
- The extent or nature of the request precludes a response within the required time period.
- Fees may apply to Right-to-Know Requests. (this links to a PDF)
Submitting a Right to Know Request
The complete right-to-know form may be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Email: Attach completed and signed form and email to the board secretary. An e-mail will not be considered submitted until a complete, accessible copy of that e-mail is received by the person to whom it is addressed.
- USPS (postal mail): Mail to the attention of Mr. Charles Peterson at GVSD Administrative Offices, 301 Lindenwood Drive, Suite 210, Malvern, PA 19355.
- In-person: GVSD Administrative Offices, 301Lindenwood Drive, Suite 210, Malvern, PA 19355 (during regular business hours)
- By fax: 610-889-2120
District Open Records Officer
Director of Business Affairs
301 Lindenwood Drive
Malvern, PA 19355
PA Office of Open Records
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Office of Open Records
Commonwealth Keystone Building
400 North Street, Plaza Level
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225
Executive Director: Erik Arneson
Deputy Director: Nathan Byerly
Chief Counsel: Charles Rees Brown