About Mr. Ruckelshaus
- I Grew up in Montgomery County, PA and graduated from Methacton High School.
- I like pie.
- I Joined Navy at 18, served on 2 fast attack submarines and was stationed in Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, Norfolk, VA, London, England, and Groton, CT during my 9 years of service. Got married somewhere in there to an awesome woman who puts up with me.
- I attended Temple University where I majored in English and minored in History. I worked full time as a programmer for most of it and still graduated in five years.
- I began doing web design and web development in 1994, and worked at a variety of technology corporations as a designer, developer, systems administrator, and manager until becoming a full-time teacher in 2007.
- I decided that I needed a "Plan 'B'" in 2003 while working insane hours at a technology startup that left me questioning my desire to continue in the technology field.
- I began working on an M.Ed. in August, 2003.
- In 12/2006, received my first teaching certification, in English, and completed my M.Ed. I'm also certified to teach Social Studies, Communications, Technology Education, and Business & Computer Technology.
- My first teaching job was teaching Computer Science, Web Design, Web Programming, Business Electives, and English Electives at a public High School in Berks County, PA.
- I am thrilled to be the Computer Applications teacher at Great Valley Middle School. I can be found in Room 212.
- I run the GVMS Robotics Club
- I love teaching, and I really enjoy being able to help my students understand and learn all about technology.
Which brings me to now. My wife, Mary Beth, my daughters, Elizabeth (born 9/98), and Meredith (born 12/2001), dogs Charlie and Pearl, and cats Mork and Murphy and I all live in Collegeville, PA. MB is a pharmacist for a large regional health system.
My hobbies include computers, woodworking, cycling (road and mountain), and building bicycle frames. You can view some of the bicycle frames that I've built here
. Oh, and I make a mean cheesesteak.