German Music Videos
One of the greatest challenges I faced in compiling this page was to find songs or sites that were appropriate for school use. What follows are some selections that are easy to listen to and have decent content. For many of the songs I attached the German as well as the English translations. These are some of the genre I like (oldies). If you find something you like send me the link on my email email@example.com See what you can understand have fun.
The BeatlesThe Beatles regularly performed at different clubs in Hamburg, West Germanyduring the period from August 1960 to December 1962; a chapter in the group's history which honed their performance skills, widened their reputation, and led to their first recording, which brought them to the attention of Brian Epstein.
Sometimes we can't tramslate word for word what might be written in an original song. We need to think, "How would they say?" or use imagery in that language. Read the translations and you'll see what I mean.
Sie liebt dich (She loves you) She loves you lyrics She loves you video
Komm gib mir deine Hand (I want to hold your Hand) lyrics video
Geh 'raus (Get back) Geh 'Raus lyrics videoChristina Stürmer
Christina Stürmer (born June 9, 1982) is an Austrian pop/rock singer and also the name of her band. After working at a bookshop in Linz and singing in several bands, she reached #2 in Starmania, an Austrian music casting TV show. Her first song was “Ich lebe” (I Live) released in 2003, which was very successful in Austria and was followed by several #1 hits.
In 2004 the song “Vorbei” (Over) reached the German Top 100, and in April 2005, a new version of “Ich lebe” was produced especially for the German and Switzerland market. That song reached very high positions in Germany, Switzerland and Italy, making Christina Stürmer well-known in the German-speaking countries. 2006 was her most successful year. She sold more than 1.5 million copies of her CDs in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.
Traeume leben ewig (Dreams live for ever?)
Wenn die Welt untergeht (When the world ends)
Ich Lebe ( I'm living) lyrics (Music with powerpoint) Sturmer Ich lebe lyrics
Liebt sie dich so wie ich? Lyrics (does she love you as much as me?)
Herbert Grönemeyer is a German musician and actor, popular in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. He starred as war correspondent Lieutenant Werner in Wolfgang Petersen's movie Das Boot, but later concentrated on his musical career
Grönemeyer wrote this song and the others on the "Mensch" CD after recovering from the loss of both his wife and brother in 1998. He has always been noted for his complex, obscure lyrics (even difficult for Germans to understand), but if you pay attention, you should be able to identify most of his references in this song to dealing with the pain he feels from the loss of his wife. -
Mensch German and English texts
Mensch VideoThis song is Grönemeyer's declaration of how he intends to go on despite the pain he feels over the loss of his wife. Even if life isn't fair ("Das Leben ist nicht fair"), Grönemeyer says that's no excuse to give up and points out his wife's qualities and her own refusal to give in.
DEr Weg German with English translationWatch as a flash mob ignites a social setting at a city center in Munich with a lively performance of "Rock Mi". The performance was organized by the German group voXXclub and many initially stunned onlookers eventually join in the dancing and singing.
Rock mi lyricsLyrics to the song featured above. You'll note that the song is actually in Bayrisch, a dialect spoken in Bavaria in .Southern Germany
Münchener FreiheitNena -Nena is a true one-hit-wonder outside of Germany, where she didn't even come close to another hit. Before this, however, her single "Nur Getraumt" was a #1 hit in Germany.Goldfinger did a cover of this that was used on the soundtrack of the 2001 film Not Another Teen Movie. Their version features one verse in German; the lead singer of Goldfinger said he had to take lessons to learn how to say some German words before recording this song.
99 Luftballons video 99Luftballoons...lyricsThis was one of the songs in the '80s to make a point about the brinkmanship and paranoia/hysteria surrounding the issue of war. The song talks about Nena and the listener buying 99 Balloons in a shop and letting them go, for fun. These balloons show up on the radar as unidentified objects and both sides scramble planes and go to full alert to counteract a perceived nuclear attack, when in fact it is the most childlike of things, a bunch of balloons.The English-language version was #1 in the UK for three weeks in March 1984. It was the first of two songs about nuclear war to top the charts in the UK that year; the other was "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood."Luftballons" literally translates to "Air Balloons" in German, and means regular party balloons.
99 Luftbaloon Spiel Just Dance 2014
This link is connected to a game called "Just DAnce'. "Just Dance" is game where you can interact with the Music. Viel Spass!!
Genesis 15.06.07 Hamburg TV-Bericht
Click here to follow a report by Hamburg TV regarding a concert visit by the supergroup Genesis. Interesting commentary on thier concerts as well as translation of interviews with the band. Try to pick out words that you know, might be cognates or perhaps you can pick up what's going on by context.Go backstage on the set of Germany's version of "American Idol" Practice is in English with German subtitles. Commentary from contestants is in GermanSixteen year old finalist on German version of American Idol sings Justin Bieber's BABY. Listen to interviews with the Judges
- German Bands, Singers and related websites from Germany for Travellers
- Art Lader's German Music Site - beginning vocab and exercises
- Oskar's Bilingual Online Teen Magazine: current performers and music in Germany
- Yahoo Music and videos - Launch Deutschland
- Shoutcast.com - find German radio stations and their music
- MTV Germany!!! with hit-lists/charts and Planet Radio
- Hit Parades and German dance charts from DINO Deutschland.
- VIVA TV - German music and music video channel and website. Live streams!
- CD Europe and CD Now: online CD catalogs
- Brian Zahn's Songbook and links to famous German artists.
- Calendar of ALL musical performances in Germany updated daily: pop, jazz, classical, etc.
GERMAN BANDS AND ENTERTAINERS
- New SuchASurge websites! German Hip-hop metal!
- Germany's rap queen: Schwester S (Sabrina Sutler).
- One of my classes even likes a Kraftwerk song.
- Die Prinzen write clever lyrics, if you can stand their music.
- Rappers Die Fantastischen Vier (The Fantastic Four). Cool new CD and website 4:99.
- They're wildly popular, but then again so is David Hasselhoff!?! Here are his CDs to prove it!
- And what about Heino? Who is he? Elvis? A German Roy Orbison? I don't know myself.
- Collection of German Band sites and other German musicians!
- Turk Pop is a recent phenomenon in Germany. Related article.
- Many articles on modern German music from the colorful bilingual Oskar's Magazine.
FOLKSONGS - LYRICS - COLLECTIONS
Das Lied der Deutschen: German national hymn and US texts.
- NEW! Lyrics.de Songtexte im Internet. Massive site.
- 4000 German Volkslieder/folk songs and hymns. Texts, some audio.
- Richard Aguilar's German Folksongs Collection
- Brian Zahn's Lyrics to German folk, Christmas and popular songs.
- Gen Cory's excellent German Music Database with lyrics to modern songs and much more.
- R.Aguilar's Multimedia Page with Volksongs, multimedia and materials for learning German.
- Christmas songs - Weihnachtslieder.
- Web exercises and links from Deutsch im Netz.
Uwe Kind is famous world-wide for his humorous cassettes and songbooks for language instruction available from Langenscheidt's, AATG or the Goethe Institut-New York, which features a few of his songs in the Video series "Die Deutschstunde”
Phenomenal multi-purpose page with composers, classical links, orchestras, all instruments, all styles of music, education, libraries, research. Also linked to Classical Net Classical composers picture gallery, organized by country