All students attending school must have complete immunization records. GVSD is prohibited by law to allow children to enter school without evidence of immunizations. These requirements allow for exemptions for medical reasons and religious beliefs. If your child is exempt from immunizations, he/she may be removed from school during an outbreak. Please call the school nurse if you have any questions.
If your insurance does not cover immunizations, please contact the Chester County Health Department at 610-344-6225 to schedule an appointment for vaccines.
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has specific immunization regulations relating to school enrollment and attendance.
The minimum immunizations (as required by PA law) for any student entering school include:
- Diphtheria/Tetanus (DTP, DTaP, DT, Td):
- 4 doses minimum, with 1 dose on or after the 4th birthday
- 4 doses (4th dose on or after the 4th birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given)
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR)
- 2 doses of Measles (usually given as MMR)
- 2 doses of Mumps (usually given as MMR)
- 1 dose of Rubella (German Measles) (usually given as MMR)
- Hepatitis B (HBV):
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B
- Varicella (Chickenpox):
- 2 doses, or written history of Chickenpox disease
Children entering at the 7th Grade level or above need all of the above immunizations, plus:
- 1 dose of tetanus/diphtheria/acellular pertussis (Tdap), if 5 years has lapsed since last tetanus immunization
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)
Children entering 12th Grade need all of the above immunizations, plus:
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) upon entrance to 12th grade