Academic letter grades will be determined according to weighted categories:
- Review your child's work and encourage them to seek help if needed.
- Please be sure to check Skyward on a regular basis. Click here for link to skyward.
- Unit Assessments are not sent home...they are kept on file. Your child has the opportunity to review the assessments and schedule a time to ask questions.
- Show all your work to your parents.
- Check skyward on a regular basis.
- It is the responsibility of the student to complete any missed or late assignments which can be turned in late for full credit prior to each quiz.
- Abbreviations in Skyward:
- If a student earns a "1" for a graded assignment, it means that the assignment is missing and the grade will remain a "1" until the assignment is turned in. Full credit can still be earned despite being late.
- Check Mark: Assignment was not counted for points (no count) but credit given for completion
- * : An astrisk means that a grade or check was not posted yet in skyward
- MISS: Missing-student has not turned in work. Must do so immediately
- LATE: Late-student did turn in work late and credit was given
- ABS: Absent-student was absent and must turn in work as soon as possible
Quiz Grading and Rewrites
- Labs/Activities: 40%
- Quizzes and Tests: 60%
Extra Credit: There are no extra credit assignments. Multiple opportunities throughout the marking period encourage students to self-monitor learning of concepts and improve grades.Qualities of Learner (QL) Grade:
- The format of most quizzes and summative tests will be multiple choice and assessments will be administered on the computer. Labs/activities will contain open-ended responses.
- When content for a unit is completed, there will always be two quizzes given.
- Quiz A: All students will take. If a student earned a 90% or higher, they do not need to take Quiz B and will do enrichment while the rest of the class takes Quiz B.
- Quiz B: Students who did not earn a 90% or higher on Quiz A will take Quiz B after they have reviewed the content from the unit and questions from Quiz A.
- More details to follow in class.
- Students are able to redo and resubmit most labs/class activities.
- Coming to class unprepared 3 times or having 3 missing, late, or incomplete assignments during a marking period will result in a Needs Improvement (NI) Quality of a Learner grade (QL).
- Repeated missed additional assignments will result in the QL grade dropping to Unsatisfactory (U).
- Other factors such as effort, attitude, and class participation will also play a role in the QL grade.
- It is the student’s responsibility to complete any assignments he/she has missed and keep them in his/her science binder or on the computer after showing the teacher.
- See GVMS Qualities of a Learner rubric for more information.