Welcome to our Sugartown reading page. Please note that information will be shared throughout the year. Here are a few tips of things you can do with your child each evening to grow their reading potential!
Finding a Just Right Book is an important part of growing our reading skills and lives. Please find a list of some strategies below to help determine, if your child is reading a Just Right Book.
Brainwok- before going to the classroom library think about...
* A topic I am interested in
* A familiar author
* A series I'd like to read
Preview- get your mind ready to discover what you will learn in the book...
* Read the Title and Summary (located on the back of the book or on the inside bookjacket)
* Look at illustrations and text features (if it is a non fiction book)
* Read the table of contents
Try It- Check to see how it feels as you are reading it- easy, just right or challenging
* Read some of the first few pages quietly (aloud)
* Close the book and retell the major plot components
Decide- Is this book a "just right" fit?
* Did I read at a steady pace?
* Did it sound smooth (3-4 word chunks)?
* Were there a few challenging words (0-5) that I was able to discover and uncover?
* Did I understand the major plot elements?
You may have just discovered a new JUST RIGHT book!
Click on the link and search by author, level, or title to help determine books that may be "Just Right" for you!
Use this website to help find a "just right" book. Click on the link and enter the title of a book you are interested in.