Welcome to our Charlestown reading page. Please note that information will be shared throughout the year. Here are a few tips of things you can do with your child each evening to grow their reading potential!
Finding a Just Right Book is an important part of growing our reading skills and lives. Please find a list of some strategies below to help determine, if your child is reading a Just Right Book.
Brainwok- before going to the classroom library think about...
* A topic I am interested in
* A familiar author
* A series I'd like to read
Preview- get your mind ready to discover what you will learn in the book...
* Read the Title and Summary (located on the back of the book or on the inside bookjacket)
* Look at illustrations and text features (if it is a non fiction book)
* Read the table of contents
Try It- Check to see how it feels as you are reading it- easy, just right or challenging
* Read some of the first few pages quietly (aloud)
* Close the book and retell the major plot components
Decide- Is this book a "just right" fit?
* Did I read at a steady pace?
* Did it sound smooth (3-4 word chunks)?
* Were there a few challenging words (0-5) that I was able to discover and uncover?
* Did I understand the major plot elements?
You may have just discovered a new JUST RIGHT book!