This monthly e-newsletter summarizes decisions made by the Great Valley Board of School Directors at its regular meeting and provides student and staff related news from our schools. To subscribe to receive this monthly newsletter via email, please email your name and address to email@example.com.
July 2021 e-news
Schools to Welcome All Students Back in the Fall with Revised Health & Safety Plan in Place
On July 19, the Great Valley School District decided that it will not offer a virtual option for students in the fall. The decision was made after carefully considering a number of important factors that included the status of COVID-19 in the community, including low incidence and positivity rates; the desire of Great Valley families to see a virtual program in place for the fall; the District's ability to meet the needs of all learners through a virtual program; the feasibility of staffing and funding a virtual program; and the recommendations offered to districts by the PA Department of Education (PDE), the PA Department of Health (PA DOH), the Chester County Health Department (CCHD), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) who all support a “normal” school opening in the fall.
A revised Health and Safety Plan that was approved by the Board of School Directors addresses a number of mitigation efforts that are designed to keep students, staff, and families safe in Great Valley schools. Included in the plan:
- Masks will be optional for all students and staff. Those who are not vaccinated, or who feel more comfortable doing so, should wear a mask.
- Masking will be required on school busses, as mandated by PDE and the CDC.
- Distance of at least 3 feet (to the greatest extent possible) will be maintained in schools.
- Students who are required to quarantine due to probable or confirmed COVID-19 exposure will be able to stream into classes during their quarantine period.
- The District will continue to work with the CCHD on contact tracing, and will continue to notify school communities about any confirmed COVID-19 cases through school-based emails and the online COVID-19 dashboard.
- Ventilation standards and cleaning protocols implemented last year will continue.
- Diagnostic and screening tests will remain available to students and staff.
In a letter to families and staff, Superintendent Daniel Goffredo said, "We will continue to be vigilant, and if there is a shift in the nature of conditions or to the guidance that is provided to us, we may revisit the feasibility of a virtual program for our students. We will also continue to network with the CCHD to make determinations related to our schools and our educational program, and will regularly review the guidance provided to us by the CDC, PDE, PA DOH, and the CCHD."
The Great Valley Board of School Directors conducted a business meeting on July 19, 2021.
The Board began welcoming the public back in person to its meetings in July. The Board will also continue to stream its meetings for those who prefer to watch online. Public comment, however, will only be accepted in person. Meeting links and agendas are available on the School Board page of the GVSD website.
The Board granted the following approvals at its July meeting. For more information on any item, please view in BoardDocs.
- SOS Contract Renewal
- Educational Services Contracts
- Contracted Counseling Services
- Contracts for School-Based ACCESS Program
- Student Assistance Program Liaison Services
- John Deere Gator Purchase
- Storage Shed Purchase
- Concrete Inspection and Material Testing Services
- Higher Information Group (HIG) Contract Extension
- PowerSchool Enrollment Analytics Services and Software Renewal
- Data Center Service Agreement
- Warwick Contract Extension
- Contract with Chester County Intermediate Unit
- Personnel Approvals
- Adoption of Health & Safety Plan for 2021-2022
47 Church Road
Malvern, PA 19355