5th Grade Math Curriculum
Unit 1: Number Sense and Operations
Unit 2: Fractions
Unit 3: Decimals
Unit 4: Geometry and Measurement
Unit 5: Graphing and Data Analysis
Math in Focus- Program Goals
- Children are taught with the philosophy that math is thinking. Concepts are presented from concrete- pictoral- abstract. (Singapore math philosophy)
- PA common core standards guide instruction- encourage problem solving, communication and cooperative learning.
- students build a strong foundation in the basic skills, a deep understanding of number sense, and enhanced problem solving skills.
- The Singapore math approach asks students to draw a diagram of the concepts they are working on. They learn to ouse model drawing to solve and better understand word problems- develop a strong understanding of why a solution works and be able to communicate that information.
- Students are taught concepts to mastery and greater depth.