Ways to Handle Stress
Stress and Your Child: Stress is an unavoidable part of life so learning to manage it in a positive way is a key to healthy living. The following are some tips:
1. Encourage Exercise Daily – it relieves tension that builds from stress.
2. Practice Deep Breathing – it relaxes the body and calms the mind. 3. Encourage Positive Thinking – more I can – less I can’t. Teach your child to become aware of negative thinking patters and to replace them with: “I can handle this”, “I will be okay”…
4. Teaching children how to express their thoughts and feelings provides a good outlet for stress. Listen to their thoughts and concerns.
5. Help your child develop a stress-management plan involving favorite strategies for example – journaling, drawing, listening to music, taking a walk, etc.
6. Help your child learn time management and organizational skills to manage responsibilities and combat the “overwhelmed” feeling – help them make a plan.
7. Schedule down time – laughter is a great stress reliever.
8. If your child is escalating, do not escalate in response. Approach your stressed child with a calm and encouraging voice.
9. Consistency and Routines are helpful – plenty of rest and nourishing food help raise our tolerance for stress.